Monday 28 December 2015

The Three Bears - A handmade dolls house

This little baby has been 'under construction' for some months. I have been doing small bits of embroidery every now and then, and was constantly fearful of how, and if, I would finish it.


Starting out, some months ago

I'm pretty proud of this one. I hope Sarah from Bear and Co. who made our Goldilocks and The Three Bears peg dolls, feels it does them justice.

The bears and Goldilocks move in!

I just managed to complete it in time, to wrap it, and place under the Christmas Tree... Since being opened, all three kids have played with it and the past few days it has mostly been found tucked under my 3-year-old's arm.


Christmas Morning, very exciting.

The tutorial I followed was for a simple farmhouse / dollhouse. My aim was to construct a house that looked similar to the one in our Goldilocks and the Three Bears storybook that we have. The storybook that was mine when I was a little girl. 


Surprise! It actually worked out
My mum gave me an embroidery book for my Birthday back in March, and I did have fun using some techniques from this book and building a little fairytale house.

I had planned to do more, flowers at the front, a family portrait hanging on the wall, but it was not to be.



Bits
The main thing that concerned me with this one, was putting the whole thing together. I did all the embroidery work flat and hoped like crazy I had left enough space, and not too much space to sew it all up.

I did cheat a little by not adding elastic to the sides and sewing on buttons for closure. Instead I attached velcro to the handle in order to keep it all together. Thus far, it's working.

It is a little off in some places, however for a first go and an amateur sewer, it's safe to say, I've impressed myself!

I would even consider making another as all in all, it wasn't too difficult and even, dare I say, enjoyable... Not for a while though.





3 Days remaining, 1 item to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment